Volunteer at Chimpanzee Rescue Center
Sanaga-Yong Chimpanzee Rescue Center (project of In Defense of Animals-Africa)
Located on the edge of the forest in Cameroon, west-central Africa, the Sanaga-Yong Chimpanzee Rescue Center is home to 73 chimpanzees of varying ages. We have an ongoing need for 6-month volunteers throughout the year to assist with day-to-day operations at the sanctuary. Volunteers pitch in wherever needed most.
- helping with chimpanzee feeding, care & cage cleaning
- buying food & supplies in town
- washing, cutting & distributing fruit
- painting cages & maintaining camp equipment
- working with Cameroonian staff (who speak French)
Note: limited contact with chimpanzees occurs during daily feedings but hands-on contact with baby chimps is limited and occurs only when babies are present and Cameroonian staff are not available.
Please visit www.ida-africa.org to learn more.
- Minimum 21 yrs and paid work experience
- Fluent in English or French: if fluent in English, conversational French strongly preferred (and vice versa)
- Good general health and physical stamina; able to lift up to 45 lbs.
- Able to adapt easily to changing tasks/ schedules and to basic living conditions with a small group in an isolated setting
- University degree
- Work experience as part of a group or project team
- Experience living, or spending extended time, in a developing country (preferably Africa)
- Prior experience working with chimpanzees or other great apes
For veterinarians, medical personnel, mechanics, and engineers, qualifications and length of stay are negotiable ...please inquire.
This is an unpaid position; no travel expenses, research grants or stipends are provided.
If accepted as a volunteer, there is a one-time processing fee of U.S. $300 due prior to arrival.
provided for internship/volunteer positions (travel, meals, lodging):
Lodging and vegetarian meals at the site are provided at no cost to volunteers.
Term of Appointment:
Open all year
Email for an application: firstname.lastname@example.org.
700 SW 126th Ave
Beaverton, OR 97005
Questions and Comments
Questions about a specific job listing should be directed to the
contact person listed for that job. Questions and comments about using
the Primate-Jobs web site can be directed to Joe Kemnitz at