ATTENTION: This job expired Dec. 4, 2014 and is no longer linked from the job list.
If you are the job poster and would like to renew the listing, please
access it through "My Job Listings" (available when logged in only).
Volunteer at Chimpanzee Rescue Center
Sanaga-Yong Chimpanzee Rescue Center (project of In Defense of Animals-Africa)
Located on the edge of the forest in Cameroon, west-central Africa, the Sanaga-Yong Chimpanzee Rescue Center is home to 73 chimpanzees of varying ages. We have an ongoing need for 6-month volunteers throughout the year to assist with day-to-day operations at the sanctuary. Volunteers pitch in wherever needed most.
- helping with chimpanzee feeding, care & cage cleaning
- buying food & supplies in town
- washing, cutting & distributing fruit
- painting cages & maintaining camp equipment
- working with Cameroonian staff (who speak French)
Note: limited contact with chimpanzees occurs during daily feedings but hands-on contact with baby chimps is limited and occurs only when babies are present and Cameroonian staff are not available.
Please visit www.ida-africa.org to learn more.
- Minimum 21 yrs and paid work experience
- Fluent in English or French: if fluent in English, conversational French strongly preferred (and vice versa)
- Good general health and physical stamina; able to lift up to 45 lbs.
- Able to adapt easily to changing tasks/ schedules and to basic living conditions with a small group in an isolated setting
- University degree
- Work experience as part of a group or project team
- Experience living, or spending extended time, in a developing country (preferably Africa)
- Prior experience working with chimpanzees or other great apes
For veterinarians, medical personnel, mechanics, and engineers, qualifications and length of stay are negotiable ...please inquire.
This is an unpaid position; no travel expenses, research grants or stipends are provided.
If accepted as a volunteer, there is a one-time processing fee of U.S. $300 due prior to arrival.
provided for internship/volunteer positions (travel, meals, lodging):
Lodging and vegetarian meals at the site are provided at no cost to volunteers.
Term of Appointment:
Open all year
Email for an application: firstname.lastname@example.org.
700 SW 126th Ave
Beaverton, OR 97005
Questions and Comments
Questions about a specific job listing should be directed to the
contact person listed for that job. Questions and comments about using
the Primate-Jobs web site can be directed to Joe Kemnitz at