ATTENTION: This job expired Sep. 24, 2014 and is no longer linked from the job list.
If you are the job poster and would like to renew the listing, please
access it through "My Job Listings" (available when logged in only).
Internship studying primate movement patterns and diet in Amazonian Peru
Here in the Peruvian Amazon, we at Fauna Forever (a Peruvian non-profit) are once again recruiting students and early-career conservation biologists, including budding primatologists, interested in assisting us as interns with one or more of our research and conservation projects. Four of these projects are specifically focused on primates (monkeys).
1. Primate home range estimation (extensive following of primate groups with GPS in hand, followed by data crunching in our GIS);
2. Diet preferences of primates (intensive focal animal studies);
3. Intra- and inter-specific competition for resources in primates (intensive focal animal studies).
4. Density estimation of primates (repeat sampling of unbounded line-transects)
For more information on these projects, please visit this webpage: http://www.faunaforever.org/internship/primate-research-in-the-amazon-rainforest/
TRAINING AND SUPERVISION:
We also provide professional training and supervision for those student interns wishing to undertake their own project for educational credits or dissertation/thesis requirements. If you have your own project idea, then please write to us to determine whether it is logistically feasible given our set-up.
All primate-focused internships can begin anytime between May and December 2014. Minimum participation period is 1 month (30 days). On average, previous interns have stayed 2 months (60 days).
1. Undergraduate degree in an environmental science (in course or completed, preferred);
2. Passionate about tropical research and conservation;
3. Good communicator, and happy to work as part of an international team;
4. Familiarity with GPS technology and GIS software, an asset;
5. Reference letter may be required.
Interns need to pay all-inclusive in-country participation fee, starting at US$50 per day.
provided for internship/volunteer positions (travel, meals, lodging):
The fee includes all accommodation, food and drink, local transport including airport pick-up/drop-off, field training and supervision, wifi internet access where available, use of field equipment, access to library of publications, and research permits. The fee does not include air travel to/from Puerto Maldonado, or travel/health insurance (which is compulsory for all).
Term of Appointment:
Minimum 1 month (30 days)
Positions are available between May and December 2014. Online application form available here: http://www.faunaforever.org/internship-peru/application
Dr. Chris Kirkby
Carretera Tambopata Km 1.5, Chapajal
Puerto Maldonado, Madre de Dios
Questions and Comments
Questions about a specific job listing should be directed to the
contact person listed for that job. Questions and comments about using
the Primate-Jobs web site can be directed to Joe Kemnitz at