Born Free USA Primate Sanctuary
The Primate Sanctuary is a division of Born Free USA. Our mission is to provide nonhuman primates as high a quality of life as we can, with as little human interference as needed to maintain their proper care. The 186-acre sanctuary, located south of San Antonio, Texas, is home to more than 600 primates, many of whom were rescued from abusive or exploitative situations.
The focus of animal care at the sanctuary is to provide conditions in which the captive populations of macaques, baboons, and vervets are allowed to live out the remainder of their lives with extensive freedom of movement, choice of food, and choice of companions, in accordance with their social nature. We aim to provide a lifelong, high standard of care without being needlessly intrusive.
1. Participate in the daily care of all animals including, but not limited to:
• Clean habitats
• Empty, clean and re-fill water troughs
• Prepare and distribute food
• Report any animal showing signs of ill health or injury to management
• Dispense medications and medical treatments
• Maintain written log entries
2. Grounds and enclosure maintenance work as required:
• Trimming vegetation around the Sanctuary to keep paths and other areas clear
• Assist with construction projects such as building shelters, etc.
3. Make and distribute enrichment.
4. Help with the weekly delivery of fresh produce, dry feed, hay & other deliveries by unloading and stacking supplies.
5. Other duties as required
We are looking for applicants with the following:
• A willingness to make a strong commitment to the monkeys and the organization
• The ability to work calmly around animals in a respectful and humane manner
• Have 6 months or more of primate experience
• Achieved a college degree in zoology, biology, primatology, anthropology, conservation, animal behavior or related field. Equivalent of 4 years in animal care experience may be acceptable in lieu of degree.
• Familiarity with exotics and/or wildlife a plus
• Experience working in an animal sanctuary or similar work environment a plus
• Vet tech skills a plus
• Can lift up to 50 pounds , and conduct other kinds of physical work
• Is able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, including 100 degree + weather
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Is willing to work various shifts including weekends and holidays
• Be capable and willing to follow all safety procedures and animal care protocols
• Fluent in English, both written and verbal
• Valid driver’s license
• Be prepared to move to a small, rural community
• $8.50/hour, 40 hours per week
• $9.00/hour after 90 day probationary period
• Permanent, full time employment
• Paid vacation
• Paid sick time
• Health insurance
• Dental, Vision and Veterinary reimbursement program based of length of employment
• Temporary on-site group housing as available
provided for internship/volunteer positions (travel, meals, lodging):
Term of Appointment:
Commit to 1 year, long term employment
Until we find the right fit.
Applicant must be able to come out for a working interview. No financial support is available for this.
1042 E FM 469
Cotulla, TX 78014
Questions and Comments
Questions about a specific job listing should be directed to the
contact person listed for that job. Questions and comments about using
the Primate-Jobs web site can be directed to Joe Kemnitz at