ATTENTION: This job expired Jun. 21, 2016 and is no longer linked from the job list.
If you are the job poster and would like to renew the listing, please
access it through "My Job Listings" (available when logged in only).
Jungle Friends Primate Sanctuary
Primate caregivers at Jungle Friends work under the supervision of Sanctuary Managers to provide care to 300 New World monkeys. The caregiver is expected to take a team leader role in sanctuary operations. Primate caregivers must be proactive and confirm all necessary daily tasks are completed to ensure 1) a high standard of care is provided to resident monkeys daily 2) and enclosures and habitats and sanctuary facilities are maintained daily 3) all activities comply with accreditation standards as well as state and federal regulations.
• Report to Sanctuary Managers all primate care and sanctuary facility needs that arise and attend staff meetings.
• Monitor the physical and emotional well-being of resident monkeys.
• Prepare and serve diets.
• Clean inside enclosures and outside naturalistic habitats.
• Provide toy and food enrichments.
• With Sanctuary Managers plan and monitor social interactions.
• Participate in medical procedures that may involve capture and restraint.
• Maintain, repair and landscape outdoor habitats.
• Maintain, repair and furnish indoor enclosures.
• Construct and furnish new habitats.
• General sanctuary facilities and grounds keeping repair and maintenance.
• Learn about each the ecology and behavior of each monkey species at the sanctuary and the life histories of the resident monkeys.
• Participate in fundraising campaigns, outreach and advocacy for captive primates.
The work is labor intensive and the Florida climate is very hot and humid in the summer. In the winter, temperatures can drop to the 20s, and shared duties include heater checks throughout the night during freezing temperatures. The work is difficult and can be stressful, but the rewards are great!
You must have experience working with animals. We are looking for healthy, highly motivated, Primate Caregivers to ensure each monkey receives a high standard of care. You must be friendly, even-tempered, have good communication skills, work well with others, and have the ability to lead, as well as follow.
Starting pay $20,000/yr, with a minimum of 3-year experience and a 90 day probation period at minimum wage. You must provide your own health insurance.
provided for internship/volunteer positions (travel, meals, lodging):
On-site accommodations are available. For the safety of the monkeys and co-workers smoking is prohibited at the sanctuary. We promote vegetarianism/veganism. Residents of the sanctuary are expected to prepare meals on-site accordingly. Communal meals at the sanctuary are vegan.
Term of Appointment:
We ask for at least a one year commitment.
open until filled
Go to the About us link on junglefriends.org and click on the employment link to find resources for prospective staff and how to apply.
Jungle Friends Primate Sanctuary
13915 N SR 121
Gainesville, FL 32653
Questions and Comments
Questions about a specific job listing should be directed to the
contact person listed for that job. Questions and comments about using
the Primate-Jobs web site can be directed to Joe Kemnitz at