ATTENTION: This job expired Mar. 20, 2013 and is no longer linked from the job list.
If you are the job poster and would like to renew the listing, please
access it through "My Job Listings" (available when logged in only).
Animal Keeper Intern
Alameda Wildlife Conservation Park, Gibraltar
Two vacancies for voluntary internships for a period of 3-6 months (including a one month probationary period) working with our primate section. The primate section consists of crab-eating macaques, Barbary macaques, ring-tailed lemurs, cotton-topped tamarins and common marmosets. Interns will also be required to work with all other animals in our collection on occasion. The Wildlife Park is open every day and the placements will be full time i.e. a five day working week including some weekends. The main role of the keeping interns will be to attend the husbandry requirements of the animal collection as directed by the Head Keeper in charge. All internships are purely voluntary. To ensure that interns are provided with valuable experience; a training agreement will be completed and reviewed regularly and a training record will be provided upon completion of the placement.
Objectives of the placement
- To gain experience and understanding of the work of a zoo animal keeping department.
- To apply own personal skills and take ownership of a series of tasks and/or a research project.
- To reflect on training and experience throughout the placement.
- Anticipated tasks/training provided
- Assisting with daily animal husbandry e.g. feeding, cleaning, enrichment provision,
enclosure modification etc
- Observations of animals and recording of relevant information.
- Training in basic research methods.
- Visitor interaction e.g. answering visitor questions in a polite and sensitive manner.
- Assisting with student supervision at the direction of the head keeper.
- Training in animal-management related computer software.
- Training in all aspects of the company’s code of practise.
- A qualification in an animal science related discipline would be desirable.
- Previous animal-related work experience.
- Good communication skills.
- Adaptable to different working environments.
- Able to work in a team and independently.
- Physically fit for the demands of the post.
No funding is available for internships.
provided for internship/volunteer positions (travel, meals, lodging):
No funding is available. Interns must be fully self-funded for the duration of their stay including flights, accommodation and food.
Term of Appointment:
4th April 2013
Botanic Gardens, Red Sands Road
Questions and Comments
Questions about a specific job listing should be directed to the
contact person listed for that job. Questions and comments about using
the Primate-Jobs web site can be directed to Ray Hamel at
email@example.com or (608) 263-3512.