ATTENTION: This job expired Mar. 20, 2013 and is no longer linked from the job list.
If you are the job poster and would like to renew the listing, please
access it through "My Job Listings" (available when logged in only).
Vervet Monkey Foundation
The Vervet Monkey Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to the welfare of orphaned, abandoned, & abused vervet monkeys. The Foundation cares for 500 monkeys on 23 hectares at the sanctuary. This community generally has anywhere between 10 – 25 volunteers who are working & living together, with many people coming & going.
• Main responsibility will be driving (mornings and afternoons)
• Collecting food for the monkeys daily (will involve driving a trailer)
• Grocery shopping for volunteer food / purchasing gas and other items for the foundation
• Collecting volunteers from the bus stop in Tzaneen
• Collecting monkeys if necessary / taking to vet on occasions
• Checking on needed items daily – shopping list / stock lists
• Fetching water locally
• When not driving, opportunity to help with other tasks on foundation
• Taking volunteers out on one afternoon of the weekend to places of interest such as waterfalls / tea gardens etc
• Manual full clean driving licence, responsible driver must be aged over 21 yrs.
• Work out costings of best food prices in order to save funds
Voluntary position but meals and accommodation provided on site.
provided for internship/volunteer positions (travel, meals, lodging):
Basic cabin accommodation and vegan meals provided.
Living conditions are very basic with eco-toilets and bush showers (with hot water). There is no electricity in the cabin but there is a volunteer cottage where there is electricity to charge items, to socialise and eat meals etc. We have up to 30 overseas volunteers at any one time (usually for a min period of 1 month)
Term of Appointment:
Min 6 months
1st March 2013
The project is based near Tzaneen, a town in the Limpopo Province of South Africa. Tzaneen is located in South Africa's picturesque Letaba district at the foot of the Wolkberg Mountains and is a five hour coach ride from Johannesburg and about one and a half hours drive from the Kruger National Park. The area has so much to offer those who visit it, including some of South Africa's most famous attractions, stunning landscapes and spectacular wildlife.
Josie Du Toit
Plot 35, California
Tzaneen 0850 0850
+27 83 45 45 381
Questions and Comments
Questions about a specific job listing should be directed to the
contact person listed for that job. Questions and comments about using
the Primate-Jobs web site can be directed to Joe Kemnitz at