ATTENTION: This job expired Oct. 23, 2012 and is no longer linked from the job list.
If you are the job poster and would like to renew the listing, please
access it through "My Job Listings" (available when logged in only).
Orangutan Tropical Peatland Research Project
OuTrop is looking for a new Project Manager to manage its field research project in Sabangau, Central Kalimantan, Indonesia (Borneo). OuTrop’s projects include research on: primate behaviour and population assessments in three species (orang-utans, gibbons and red langurs), biodiversity monitoring, camera trapping, forest dynamics, regeneration in our Seedling Nursery, and numerous student and short-term research projects.
The successful candidate will manage and coordinate our field research projects, including managing Project staff; act as the main point of contact between Project Directors and other Project personnel; be responsible for ensuring effective project operation; help supervise Project accounts; and be expected to familiarise themselves with all field research protocols on the project, in order to provide support in maintaining data quality to our Project Scientists, to help define tasks and objectives, and potentially to take a leading role in certain projects.
We are looking for a highly organized person, with excellent coordination and management skills, tropical research experience (preferably with primates) and a dedication to wildlife conservation. The candidate needs to be flexible, patient, amicable (good social skills), well organized, a good communicator, and physically and mentally fit. Applicants must also have the ability to cope well under stress and to readily master new skills. Previous experience of similar projects in Indonesia and ability to speak Bahasa Indonesia to conversational level are essential.
• To lead the Research Team and manage all field research activities, including staff (western and local), scheduling, operations/logistics and equipment management, to ensure the smooth running of the project.
• To be the point of contact between the Project Directors, Scientists and other personnel to ensure that instructions are carried out, and research and other tasks are properly implemented.
• To pay staff wages and oversee project accounts together with our Accountant.
• To assist in defining objectives, responsibilities and tasks of the Research Team.
• To work together with the Project Scientists to ensure that all work is carried out according to protocol and that data quality is maintained and, where possible, increased.
• Depending on the successful candidate’s experience, to aid in production of Project outputs and grant proposals, and to take a leading role in selected projects.
• Staff management and coordination experience.
• Experience in tropical field research projects (min. 1 year).
• Undergraduate or (preferably postgraduate) Biology or other relevant university degree, preferably in ecology/conservation/primatology.
• Excellent computing skills (including Access, Excel, Word, etc)
• Excellent spoken and written English.
• Previous experience of working in Indonesia and competence in the Indonesian language is essential.
• Ca. GBP 250/month.
• Local stipend to cover basic food and other minor costs in Palangka Raya.
provided for internship/volunteer positions (travel, meals, lodging):
• Accommodation in the research camp in Sabangau and OuTrop office/house in Palangka Raya, with all associated facilities; and food at research camps.
• One set of international flights up to GBP 700 and one set of domestic flights from Jakarta to Palangka Raya will be reimbursed for each 12 month contract period.
• All visa-related costs.
• Travel insurance up to GBP 25/month.
Term of Appointment:
1 year (extendable upon agreement by both parties)
1600h WIB (GMT+7) 28th September 2012.
Interviews will be conducted in the first week of October, with an aim for the applicant to start work in the field in late 2012, depending on availability, departure times of existing personnel and length of time taken to obtain a visa.
To apply, please send a covering letter detailing why you believe you are suitable for the position, an up-to-date CV to and names/addresses of two suitable references to OuTrop’s Managing Director, Dr Mark Harrison: email@example.com with the job title as the email subject.
Dr Mark Harrison
Questions and Comments
Questions about a specific job listing should be directed to the
contact person listed for that job. Questions and comments about using
the Primate-Jobs web site can be directed to Ray Hamel at
firstname.lastname@example.org or (608) 263-3512.