Student OR Qualified Veterinarian or Veterinary Nurse
C.A.R.E: The Centre for Animal Rehabilitation and Education
We are looking for volunteers to work alongside our registered veterinarian, to care for chacma baboons in need of veterinary treatment in our busy centre.
* assisting with the treating and diagnosing sick baboons
* assisting with the planning / implementing & evaluating de-worming programmes
* assisting with the administering medication; orally, intra-dermal, intramuscular & intravenously
* assisting with the assessing faecal samples
* assisting with the creating nutrition plans
* assisting with the administration of contraceptives (Depo-Povera)and booster injections (e.g tetavax)
* assisting with the surgery where appropriate
* assisting with the improving and documenting protocols
* assisting with the interaction with and caring for our nursery babies if needed
* assisting with the Necropsies - if you feel comfortable
* assisting with the Research into finding different medications/contraceptives and attempting to source them for free for use in the clinic.
We can also offer opportunities for those looking to embark on further learning and non-invasive research projects; e.g parasites, genetics, castrations, contraceptive methods, nutrition etc.
We are open to non-invasive research ideas & other suggestions.
ESSENTIAL:enrolled onto a veterinary related course or qualified
PREFERRED: Experience with wildlife an advantage, but not essential.
We will require a photocopy of your qualification certificate or enrollment letter(this can be emailed to us).
Flights/transfers, Food and accomodation must be covered by the volunteer. All rates and further info on the regular volunteer program can be viewed here; http://www.enkosiniecoexperience.com/CAREBaboonSanctuary.htm and www.primatecare.org.za
provided for internship/volunteer positions (travel, meals, lodging):
Basic accommodation on site is provided (may be shared), meals are provided.
Flights, insurance & visa costs excluded.
Term of Appointment:
Minimum 2 weeks stay
C.A.R.E is a non-profit organisation with limited funding. We seek an adaptable, enthusiastic person with initiative. They should have good communication and organisational skills and be willing to share knowledge with the team of staff and volunteers.
We are situated in a Nature Reserve adjacent to the Kruger National Park, there is an opportunity to live among, and observe wildlife on a daily basis.
Please send your CV and cover letter explaining your past experiences and why you would like to work at C.A.R.E.
Although we do have a 'veterinary area/clinic' we are in a developing country so the standards will not meet UK/USA standards.
We have most equipment required to perform most necessary procedures, but please remember we are not a vet surgery and have limited access/funding - therefore some techniques may require initiative/adaptability to use what we have available.
Grietjie Private Nature Reserve
Questions and Comments
Questions about a specific job listing should be directed to the
contact person listed for that job. Questions and comments about using
the Primate-Jobs web site can be directed to Ray Hamel at
email@example.com or (608) 263-3512.