Student OR Qualified Veterinarian or Veterinary Nurse
C.A.R.E: The Centre for Animal Rehabilitation and Education
We are looking for volunteers to work in our veterinary clinic, to care for chacma baboons in need of veterinary treatment in our busy centre.
* treating and diagnosing sick baboons (and/or assisting)
* planning / implementing & evaluating de-worming programmes (and/or assisting)
* administering medication; orally, intra-dermal, intramuscular & intravenously (and/or assisting)
* assessing faecal samples (and/or assisting)
* administration of contraceptives (Depo-Povera)and booster injections (e.g tetavax, and deworming(and/or assisting)
* surgery where appropriate (and/or assisting)
* improving and documenting protocols (and/or assisting)
* interaction with and caring for our nursery babies if needed (and/or assisting)
* Necropsies - if you feel comfortable (and/or assisting)
* Research into finding different medications/contraceptives and attempting to source them for free for use in the clinic (and/or assisting).
We can also offer opportunities for those looking to embark on further learning and non-invasive research projects; e.g parasites, genetics, castrations, contraceptive methods, nutrition etc.
We are open to non-invasive research ideas & other suggestions.
ESSENTIAL:enrolled onto a veterinary related course or qualified Vet Nurse as a minimum
We will require a photocopy of your qualification certificate or enrollment letter(this can be emailed to us).
Flights/transfers must be covered by the volunteer.
You must fly to Johannesburg where you can get a connection to Phalaborwa where we will pick you up.
For qualified persons this is a free-stay position where you do not pay anything at all except your visa, medical costs and travel to Phalaborwa. We will provide you with accommodation and food in return for your help. Free stays are limited and usually only one person at a time can achieve this free-stay position.
For students we can negotiate (dependant on the number of veterinary staff/volunteers we have at the centre and your experience and level of study) a rate to cover your food and accomodation costs. Please enquire.
provided for internship/volunteer positions (travel, meals, lodging):
Basic accommodation on site is provided (may be shared), meals are provided.
Flights, insurance & visa costs excluded.
Term of Appointment:
Minimum 3 month stay for qualified vet nurses, minimum 1 month stay for qualified vets, minimum 2 week stay for enrolled students (enrolled students must pay to stay at the centre).
C.A.R.E is a non-profit organisation with limited funding. We seek an adaptable, enthusiastic person with initiative. They should have good communication and organisational skills and be willing to share knowledge with the team of staff and volunteers.
We are situated in a Nature Reserve adjacent to the Kruger National Park, there is an opportunity to live among, and observe wildlife on a daily basis.
Please send your CV and cover letter explaining your past experiences and why you would like to work at C.A.R.E.
Although we do have a 'veterinary area/clinic' we are in a developing country so the standards will not meet UK/USA standards.
We have most equipment required to perform most necessary procedures, but please remember we are not a vet surgery and have limited access/funding - therefore some techniques may require initiative/adaptability to use what we have available.
Grietjie Private Nature Reserve
Questions and Comments
Questions about a specific job listing should be directed to the
contact person listed for that job. Questions and comments about using
the Primate-Jobs web site can be directed to Joe Kemnitz at