ATTENTION: This job expired Jul. 28, 2009 and is no longer linked from the job list.
If you are the job poster and would like to renew the listing, please
access it through "My Job Listings" (available when logged in only).
Technical Research Assistant
Works with increasing independence, under general supervision, to execute protocols involving a variety of routine procedures at a professional level, in collaboration with other members of the research team. Responsible for computer based conduct of behavioral studies. Transcribe and analyze data using statistics and graphing software. May be responsible for assisting in the orientation and training new staff. Some weekend work is required.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1) Perform experiments, which are moderate to complex. Experiments may include drug self-administration studies, drug discrimination studies, studies of schedule controlled-responding, studies of drug effects on endocrine measures, and brain imaging studies
2) Transcribe and analyze data with statistics and graphics programs using computer software and prepare weekly reports for supervisors
3) Prepare and administer accurate drug doses from stock solutions, ensure sterile technique, maintain accurate records of drug usage and maintain security of drug supplies
4) Plan, coordinate and schedule tests and procedures in consultation with immediate supervisor
5) Responsible for identifying potential problems in ongoing studies and devising solutions under supervision of immediate supervisor
6) Assist with maintenance of animal health and well-being and maintenance of an orderly work environment; develop, implement and monitor all animal enrichment procedures
7) Responsible for monitoring and maintenance of supplies in accordance with laboratory procedures
8) Assist in preparations for conduct of aseptic surgical procedures.
9) Assists in orientation and training of new employees in the laboratory.
10) Supervise animal caretaker activities related to assigned projects.
11) Supervise and document implementation of enrichment activities.
12) Performs all other duties as assigned
BA or BS in biology, psychology or related field
Good animal handling skills
Good computer literacy
Sound analytical and organizational skills
Good oral and written communication skills
Must be able to logically and effectively structure tasks and set priorities
Ability to identify potential problems and troubleshoot solutions
Demonstrated ability to analyze data statistically and to logically present it
Benefits include full medical and dental coverage,
retirement savings, life insurance
115 Mill Street
Questions and Comments
Questions about a specific job listing should be directed to the
contact person listed for that job. Questions and comments about using
the Primate-Jobs web site can be directed to Joe Kemnitz at